Construction of a corporate headquarters building, known as Building
88, begun in 1959 and was complete in 1961. It was designed by
Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, working with Sasaki Associates. Likely The Austin
Company built it since they seemed to build every other Upjohn
building. The first photo shows a group of executives discussing
plans for the building. The last photo is of a corporate board
meeting in May 1966. The first article is from a 1961 Overflow magazine
and the second from the magazine Interior Design.
When Building 88 was demolished by Pfizer in 2007 the white Upjohn letters on the stone wall in front of it were saved by the Upjohn Institute in Downtown Kalamazoo. Here they are, photographed at the institute by Michael Betz.